Freedom Ambassador 2014
Victoria Burgher, “The Perfect Stone”
What brings radical artists together from around the world? Where are the activists in the fight for women’s rights? Passion for Freedom links together an amazing array of individuals fighting for freedom:
• Firoozeh Bazrafkan – Iranian-Danish artist – recently fined for insulting Muslim men in Denmark.
• Ai Wei Wei – Chinese artist, spent 81 days in detention in China, famed for the sunflower seed-exhibition at the Tate Modern and movie “Never Sorry”.
• Sarah Maple – Iranian-British artist, named by Saatchi Gallery and Channel 4 “UK’s most exciting and imaginative talent” in 2007.
• Deeyah – Norwegian film director and music producer, made a documentary “Banaz A Love Story” which recently won an Emmy Award.
• Mehdi-Georges Lahlou – French-Moroccan artist, started his career causing outrage in Morocco by projecting Koran and Bible verses onto his naked body, his works can be seen in the galleries around the world.
• Johann Van der Dong’s PO Box to Allah – an artist who is banned from their country Holland and no gallery is brave enough to exhibit their artworks. [ Read more ]